One of New England’s most innovative suppliers of fresh, local seafood has teamed up with ThisFish to bring traceable catch to seafood lovers in Rhode Island and surrounding states. Brown Family Seafood is tracing fish from a group of fishing vessels in Point Judith, RI.
“We are specializing in fresh, local day-boat catch. We source from fishermen who are catching and landing their fish on the same day to ensure maximum freshness and top quality,” says Christopher Brown, Jr., co-owner of the family business with his father Chris Sr., who is captain of the F/V Proud Mary. “ThisFish’s traceability system allows us to connect New Englanders with their local fishermen and tell the story of our local fisheries.”
Some 10 fisheries managed in New England and the U.S. Mid-Atlantic Coast are currently traceable through ThisFish including summer flounder, yellow flounder, winter flounder, monkfish, striped bass, squid, scallops, bluefish, scup, and Atlantic cod. Other species may be added in the autumn and winter seasons.
Chris Brown, Captain of the F/V Proud Mary in Point Judith, Rhode Island.
Brown Family Seafood wants to revolutionize how fish is bought and sold by creating efficient, local distribution and providing full transparency about seafood quality, provenance and sustainability through traceability. The company sees a number of advantages to traceable “locavore” seafood:
- Catch goes from dock directly to point of sale, increasing the shelf life and improving freshness
- Through ThisFish, fishermen receive comments directly from local customers, increasing their pride and improving their onboard handling of catch
- Local seafood has a lower carbon footprint because of less travel by boat and by trucks
- Customers receive a better cost-to-quality ratio, since fish is higher quality for the same or less money
- More value is added to the local economy through jobs and business revenue
“We looked at several traceability providers, but were impressed with the design and features offered by ThisFish, especially the ability for our fishermen to receive customer feedback,” says Christopher Brown. “ThisFish is also one of the only traceability providers with data standards and validation to ensure integrity in the system.”
For more information, visit the website of Brown Family Seafood.